Google Fu Proves that Players Listen, Too.  

Posted by Michael Donaldson

Has anyone ever noticed that the vast majority of content on these blogs, pretty much through and through, is one DM to another? I've come across some evidence that suggests that a sizable portion of our audience is, in fact, regular old players. Don't believe me? Let's do a little experiment.

First, google "Rocks Fall Everyone Dies". 6th hit.

Next, google "Rocks Fall Everyone Dies DM Tools" Pretty good. I can hear all of you saying, "But Michael, that search result doesn't support your theory at all."

Next, google "D&D Novacaster". Rocks Fall is the ONLY result. If you google Novacaster, you'll learn that Novacaster is a website database framework. You'll also notice that Rocks Fall is the only hit for the novacaster in a D&D related fashion pretty much anywhere on google. If you seperate the search term to "nova caster" you'll still be hard pressed to find another D&D related hit.

But what does this prove, you ask? It proves that with the collapse of the giant framework of D&D articles on the gleemax boards, there is a giant lack of organized content available on google for players. There is a vortex of people searching for things like nova casters - something that we have had several hits for according to my google analytics - they pretty much stumble onto my article for DMs on how to beat down nova casters. Ouch.

Spenser and I have an interesting relationship in the D&D department because our relationship largely consists of me creating horrifying characters that forced him to improve his technical DMing skills, and then him smugly destroying a character of mine forcing me to improve my character building skills. In the mix, we discovered slowly how to gain the real enjoyment from this wonderful game. I would be lying, however, if I said the majority of my experience in this came on the DM side of the screen.

Spenser is the undisputed King of DMs, and I seek to contend with him no longer. From now on, most of my articles will be aimed at players and how they can improve their characters, from a mechanical and creative standpoint. I think the audience is there, but we'll just have to see. This is a far more comfortable arena for me to write in, so I figure this way you guys could get more articles. Between my new articles and the articles I plan to occasionally write for DMs, I can roughly promise a new article every day.

How 'bout them apples.

This entry was posted on March 8, 2010 at Monday, March 08, 2010 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

4 comments

I'd like to see a progressing confrontation between the two of you over several articles as player vs DM.

March 8, 2010 at 1:35 AM

This should prove to be rather interesting. Personally I'm great at writing GM articles but do struggle with Player ones (which of course I'm writing a player article tonight) I'm looking forward to what you cook up.

March 8, 2010 at 7:30 PM

That's a pretty lofty goal, beware the burnout.

March 8, 2010 at 8:53 PM
Morgan  

Michael, burn out? y'all obviously don't know how obesive compulsively attached Michael can become to anything not school and nerd related. Also, this is proof nerds have girlfriends :P

March 14, 2010 at 1:47 AM

Post a Comment