What Never Was  

Posted by Michael Donaldson

Although my posts are typically published late in the evening, I must admit to you now that I write them almost exclusively at 3 or later in the morning. It is often during this time where I have the most intriguing ideas about D&D and storytelling, and consequentially write them down.

All of us have had a moment in our D&D careers where we sit back and we imagine the possibilities of where a character or a plot line could have gone. We sit back and imagine our wizard in an epic duel with another, or our fighter standing at the forefront of an army, boldly standing in the face of the evil overlord's dark forces.

We reminisce about our characters more often than we dream of their futures, and our fondness for our past conquests is never ending. How often do you find yourself re-living your greatest triumphs (or really, your greatest failures?). We often wish we could go back and adventure with those glorious characters of the past - at least, I find myself constantly imagining storylines in my head.

Is it the possibilities that keep us entertained? Perhaps. Truly, I think, once we have been boldly stepping into adventures for a while, it isn't the future that keeps us moving forward.

Often, it was what never was.

This entry was posted on February 8, 2010 at Monday, February 08, 2010 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 comments

Anonymous  

Those very thoughts are what caused me to transition from player to DM several years back. None of the games I was able to join seemed to last and I had some good character ideas that never got to grow, so I started running games where those characters were NPCs that the players heard about and sometimes interacted with.

February 8, 2010 at 8:55 AM

I've often thought about what my character has done more often than what he will do. I've always felt that the past is more interesting than the future. Recently, I made the transition from player to DM and it has made that all the more important. The ability to tap into histories for hooks and adventures makes the world come together so much better. At the same time I have to consider every possible action on the PC's part to try and plan for what will happen to them when they try something crazy ("Hey, you know what will be fun? Lets double-double-cross the NPCs!") ^_^

February 8, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Post a Comment